Located in Kennebec County, West Gardiner was incorporated on August 8, 1850 from a portion of Gardiner. The town has frontage along the Cobbosseecontee Lake and Stream.
The remains of farm buildings on the Lewiston Road (Route 9/126) recall an earlier time when large farmhouses, barns, and silos dominated the landscape.
One of the Maine Turnpike Authority’s service plazas is located in West Gardiner. In addition to the usual fast food providers, the plaza is home to the Center for Maine Craft, which features a retail gallery for handcrafted work by Maine artisans and exhibitions of fine craft sponsored by Maine’s premier craft organizations.
Town of West Gardiner